Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2003/02/05

binge eating

Dear Diet Doc
Have just read the bit about binge eating because I am concerned about my self-destructive habits. Tend to binge eat when ever I am worried or anxious. Right now I have just accepted a scholarship, but had really wanted to drop out of varsity, but couldn't find a job. So am very worried and anxious. Find that my eating is alright during the day, only eat small amounts when I am hungry, but in the evening, especially if my boyfriend is out, will go to the shop (unfortunately really close by) and will buy crisps, chocolates etc. Will also eat a couple of sandwiches. I always hate myself afterwards. Yesterday I called Weight Watchers to find out where my nearest meeting was, have used them before and achieved the desired weight loss. But always put on weight when feeling anxious. Please help

Dear Gillian
Because you have already achieved good results with Weight Watchers and they give you moral support while you are dieting, I would strongly suggest that you join them again. I do, however, also think that you need to consult a clinical psychologist to help you a) get to the bottom of all this anxiety b) help you to control it without having to resort to food for comfort. Phone the psychology Depts at your nearest university and ask who you can consult.
Hang in there