Question
Posted by: Clarise | 2004/01/26

Biltong during pregnancy

I'm 14 weeks pregnant now and would like to know whether it is allowed to eat biltong / dry wors while pregnant? I've heard that raw meat, eggs, etc. is not advisable during this time - will a little bit of biltong once in a while cause any harm to the unborn baby?

Technically, as the meat has not been cured, there is a chance of picking up an infection, but this risk is very small.

3
Posted by: Nykie | 2013/07/02

i am 5 weeks pregnant and i would also like some advice on what not to eat during pregnancy !?

Reply to Nykie
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/26

Hi Clarise,

Welcome to the club, we are a few ladies with almost the same date....
I'm also 14weeks, Dee and Bee are just a few days behind us...nice to chat to them and hear what they are going through.

Well, I've got this craveing for "droewors" and I had some today, I don't think it could harm your baby if you have just a little bit.

Keep us up to date on how u'r feeling.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/26

You are correct that one should avoid raw meat and eggs. However, the risk from biltong is very slight, so eating it in moderation should be fine. Drink lots of water though as it can sometimes be quite salty.
Also, avoid soft cheeses (camembert, bree, blue veined cheeses) and don't clean out a cat box.

Reply to Purple