Question
Posted by: Betty | 2007/04/24

Bilhazia

Good Morning
My 14mth old son recently came into contact with stagnant water which I noticed had small worms swimming in it. I am worried about bilhazia and would like to know how long I must wait before taking him to be tested. I read in a H24 aricle that it takes 6 to 8 weeks before it can be detected, will it not perhaps be sooner for a baby? I am very worried...

Dear Betty
The danger of bilharzia is not in the small worms but in fresh water snails. Just have his urine tested in a months time or ask the doctor to take a blood test ( but I don't like sticking needles in babies)