Posted by: cathy webber | 2012/03/30


I swam in lake Malawi 25 years ago as a young adult. I am aware that I exposed myself to this parasite. I have asked my GP to test for it in me. He has only asked for stool and urine sample. I do not have any symptoms now - altho when i returned from Malawi I had terrible bowel pains - no fever or tiredness (no more than usual). Surely I should get a blood test? I had one done many years ago but the results were inconclusive as my GP was not sure how to read it. Should I be asking for a blood test?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


A blood test will not show the parasite and therefore, an urine and stool sample was taken to look for the excretion of eggs of the billharzia parasite. If you are complaining about chronic fatigue, blood tests will have to be done to exclude anemia, diabetes, hypothyroidism etc.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.