Posted by: Anon | 2009/09/15


Hi doc

My boyfriend was complaining about pain in his testicles. He came back from the doctor who told him it is probably Bilharzia. He said it can stay in the body for nearly 20 years and only then do you get sick.

Is this really so. I have never known Bilharzia to stay in the human body except that once you have it you get sick immediately.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hallo Anon
You can get chronic bilharzia. However there are other causes of sore testicles, most commonly STD's or infection of the testis (Orchitis) which may need antibiotics.
Your boyfriend needs an urine test, examination of the testis, blood test to test for bilharzia antibodies and then needs treatment when a proper diagnosis is made
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.