Question
Posted by: Gerda | 2007/02/18

Bilharzia

I have been treated for bilharzia for some time now. It has gone down to 1.73 after 3 treatments. I was wondering if there is an alternative way to get rid of this parasite. I get tested every 3 months and well i just want to get rid of this. I have stomach pain 24/7 and i have no energy at all. It's really effecting my life. I have also been diagnosed with edimetriosis. Please if you could let me know what to do i would really appreciate your help. I am really drained and want to live like normal people.

Dear Gerda
The stomach pain could be due to the endometriosis rather than the bilharzia. You have to use anti-parasitic medication until all the parasites have been killed off - and in the mean time not have contact with new infections (contact with infected water in rivers and dams) Ask your Dr to check your full blood count - one can become anaemic with bilharzia which may make you very tired.
Endometriosis is abnormal tissue that causes inflammation and bleeds during menstruation and should be treated by hormonal supression or operation to remove this. You should see a gyne for this.
See http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/advice/advice.asp?adviceID=21
www.emedicinehealth.com/endometriosis/article_em.htm