Question
Posted by: anna | 2003/12/15

Bile problem

I want to know what causes bile to come to a point where one has to vomit it?I use laxatives almost every month to clean my system,but this does not look enough as I will still feel this bitterness in my food passage urging to come out.Want can I control or get rit of this.It makes me sick.Please help!!!

Expert ImagePharmacist

What you refer to as "bile" is more likely indigestion, which can be caused by any number of physical or psycological factors. The most common causes are "bad" or irregular eating habits. In the past, before medical science has made the progress we are used to today, people used to believe that the "bitter taste' was caused by bile. The actual fact is that bile is secreted into the intestine, too far past the eosophagus to cause any taste thereof. Any good anti-acid preparation should take care of this problem. As to "cleaning your system": that is also unfortunately a piece of folklore. The continued an unneccesary use of laxatives is very harmful to your digestive system. Laxatives are medicines and should only be use to treat occasional constipation. I therefore suggest that you rather discuss your problem with your family physician, who will determine the cause of your ongoing indigestion and refer, treat or prescribe accordingly