Posted by: Yogi | 2008/07/29

Bikram Yoga

Hi There!

I' d like to know how beneficial bikram yoga is with regards to weight loss and firming up? I' ve tried a few classes, and enjoyed it, but it' s quite expensive.

I' m 1.54m and weigh 57kg. I want to get down to 50kg and firm up. Eating healthily and going to gym just doesn' t seem to be helping.

The bikram yoga has that feel good factor when you' re done, but I' d like to know if it' s effecrive for weight loss and firming up.

Looking forward to your response.

Honestly, I don't think it's teh best form of training for weight loss, though of course it is better than nothing. The problem with yoga is that it doesn't elevate the metabolic rate as much as cardio training (like running, cycling, aerobics, spinning etc.) would do. So while there is certainly a benefit, and I don't want to discourage you from doing it, you have to be aware that the most effective form of training for weight loss is going to be cardio training. The yoga is vital, hwoever, because it improves flexibility, and will help with toning quite a bit.

So perhaps what you need to consider is a combination of the two - yoga on some days, and cardio on others.