Question
Posted by: jerome | 2005/07/08

Biharzia check up needed?

Hi I travelled to malawi in sept 2004 and swam in Lake Malawi which is a frsh water lake with a risk of bilharzia contamination. Have been in various places since then and only just amnaged to register with doctor. Do I still need to get it checked? Have been looking at symptoms and am pretty sure I dont have most of them. Thanks for your help

Jerome, the easiest would be to have your urine tested to make sure (especially if you have blood in the urine). Most pharmacies should be able to do it, so it won’t cost a fortune. Good luck.