Question
Posted by: Julia | 2008/01/22

biggest loser

I would like to thank and applaud the dietdoc for the article on the biggest loser. I am an obese person who has led a yo-yo diet life as long as I can remember. Being in the corporate world, obese and unmarried is terrible as people see you as a brainless person who cannot make any decisions for themselves. We as obese people are seen as failures. I have heard on many occasions that people ...... when they need to touch an obese person. It is sad that in many instances medical aids will help you but when they find out that you are obese they turn their backs on you. Don't even try to get an operation to remove excess skin if you do manage to lose weight because this is seen as cosmetic. They don't give a damn about you trying to improve your self image.

Dear Julia
Thank you for your kind words about my article on 'The Biggest Loser SA'. It is disgraceful that the public and even some health professionals have this stupid attitude to anyone who is not a size 3. On the one hand we have our medical journals preaching about the Obesity Epidemic and on the other hand we have the short-sighted attitude of the medical aids that do not regard obesity as a disease, which is it. However as I just said to Savannah, I did attend a 'Batriatic Worskhop' last week where it became evident that there is a movement towards improving this attitude - I promise to write something on the workshop for next week's DietDoc Topic.
Never let the ideas of stupid and prejudiced people discourage you from believing in yourself.