Question
Posted by: Cherry | 2005/12/01

Big tummy (pooch)

I read your reply to a question about wanting to loose 4 kg.and reduce the tummy. I do agree that there's no 'spot reduction' and there's where my problem is as I don't want to loose weight in any other part of my body. I am a 30 year old lady with no children yet, weigh 53kg and I'm 5ft 2 inches tall. A lot of times I'm promted by people to add weigh. I guess it's the way fat is distributed on me. How do I reduce my tummy (and this is really big) without loosing weight. I'm at a loss.

Hi Cherry

You are right, you shouldn't aim to lose too much more weight. But I still stand by the rationale that the best way to lose the fat is cardio. And it doesn't matter where the fat is, you still have to do the exercise that causes fat loss. You are right, the problem of specific areas of fat distribution is a very difficult one to overcome, but you can do it with enough cardio exercise. And if the body doesn't have it to lose in other areas, then it won't, it will be lost, eventually, from the areas where it is stored. So stick with the cardio, but as i said last time, you have to also work hard at the weight training, the crunches, the situps etc. You have to do these regularly in combination with the cardio to SEE the results.