Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2004/11/11

Big Problems

I am one Convulex 1x500mg 2/day & Lamicton 1x100mg at night. Do these tab's work hand in hand? I am a very, very difficult person (atleast that is what my family says). Very bad mood swing (one minute I am fine the next sad, jumpy, mad etc), depressed, talk to myself, my brain rushes so much I can not focus, concentrate. I feel as if my mind can not take it any longer. I also have sleeping problems. I wake up atleast twice early morning than again at 4:30am. I do not want to do anything just sit, sit and sit. Can not say much about my husband as he only really worries about himself. I have in the past (for more than a year) been for theropy and seen shrinks. I felt it did not work so I no longer do that. But I need to do something as I can not carry on this way.
Many thanks

Hi Jacqui,
Well, in a sense those two drugs do work hand in hand --- both can be used to treat epilepsy, because they help to stabilize some of the chemical activities in one's brain, and for the same reason they can be very helpful in cases of Bipolar Disorder and other types of instability, like the mood swings you describe. Sounds like, even if your experience of them in the past wasn't absolutely brilliant, it would be worthwhile to see a fresh shrink, for a re-assessment of the situation, and be open to the possibility of adding counselling to the medications, to help you work through these problems.