Posted by: JH | 2008/07/15

I was in a car accident in 2001 and suffered a severe blow to my elbow - x-rays showed nothing although the pain was very bad. Since then (more during the winter months) I have a problem that during the night my arm goes numb and dead and my fingers right up to my shoulder has pins and needles. If I do not get up and move my arm around and stay in bed the bad pain starts - all along my arm - it is very bad and unbearable. During the day it is fine except when I do 'fine' work like sewing on a button or something my hand goes numb. What can this be. It's been 7 years and it keeps on happening??????

Dear JH
It sounds to me as if the nerve was injured in the accident and the resulting scar tissue may now be causing pressure on the nerve. Ask your GP to refer you to a neurosurgeon to test the nerve conduction to determine if you need a small operation to release the nerve?