Posted by: Jane | 2008/08/11

Big Head - arrogance

Goodmorning all.

I have a 8 year old son. I dont want to sound the " overproud"  mother but sportswise he really does great at just about everything.
He has been riding a bike with no stabilizers from the age of 16 months, his sence of balance is amazing, he is good at cricket, hockey, gymnastics, swimming, athletics, all sports. Yesterday he was bragging to his freinds that he runs faster than them and beats them all on his bike.
He does do all of these things, but how, without squashing his self confidence do I let him know that he must not brag about his abilitiies. I am proud of my son but dont want him turning into a " big head" .

No need to squash his self-confidence, because what you overheard had nothing to do with self-confidence --- he was bragging and boasting and putting his friends down. Talk to him calmly about this. There are, surely, areas where his is not brilliant ---maybe not the best mathematician in the class, not good a Art or music, or whatever. Ask him pleasantly how he would feel if another kid put him down and bragged about how good they were at such activities, and how bad he was at them ?