Question
Posted by: J | 2007/07/24

Big dogs in small townhouse complex

Hi everyone!

I live in a complex unit and we all have fairly small gardens.

From what I can see, there are at least 10 households with big dogs (Husky's, GSD's and Labradors).

I have a little Jack Russell and I make sure I walk him every morning and night. Imagine my disappointment that I never see any of the other dogs getting walked! I feel so sorry for them all just peering out their respective as I walk past with Russell.

I'm not asking for any advise, there isn't anything I can do (short of walking them all - an impossible task) I just wanted to hear your ideas.

These are the same households whose owners leave their pets alone till very late at night. It's so sad how busy our lives have become that we cannot make the extra effort!

You may begin by inviting the closest neighbour to go walking with you and Russel and their dog. Others may soon get the idea.

3
Posted by: J | 2007/07/25

Quite right Carol. As soon as the dogs feel they aren't stimulated enough they look elsewhere :-) glad you're not in that situation anymore!

WR - I must say it's the most bizarre thing..I have never before encountered so many people with Husky dogs. I have counted 3 adults and one puppy! Are they the latest fashion accessory? I hear you though, it's not a good situation and the body corporates should be doing something about it. I intend to bring it up with mine at the next meeting.

Reply to J
Posted by: WR | 2007/07/24

Yeah - quite sad! My opinion - Body Corporates should wake up and step in - ban people from owning dogs like Huskies etc in small properties. I must add, that I wouldn't be worried too much about the said labs & GSDs (if they where walked daily) but Huskies kept in a comlex, and even on regular 'city' properties really get to me - they where bred to run - and not just a friendly little romp in a park or so - I mean really run - 10km plus. The modern day GSD and Lab fare much better in the city than e.g. Huskies.
Sad, but nou ja, what can one do?!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Carol | 2007/07/24

Its lousy :( a few years back we were living in a simplex with a hankie sized garden ... with two boxers!!! we walked them every night but it still wasnt enough and of course they became naughty .. fortunately it was only a short time .. but IMO big dogs need a decent sized garden to play in and mooch around in.

Reply to Carol