Question
Posted by: thata | 2004/09/22

big baby

I'm not sure whether this is what you do as a geneticist, forgive me if it's not. My baby is 6 months old and weighs 9.2kg. She does not eat a lot either. Almost everybody says she is a big baby. Can you as a geneticist tell if it's in her genes to become huge in built or what? I'm concerned because i've seen big babies being so withdrawn and this having an impact on their self-esteem. Please help and let me know what i can do to check the baby's genes.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Thata

I suggest that you talk to your doctor or pediatrician for advice. Genetic testing would not be helpful at such a young age because there are many different genes that may interact with diet etc. so we will not be able to provide a solution at this stage.

Regards, Maritha