Question
Posted by: Mary | 2007/06/21

Bi polcar/schizophrenia

Further to my question on 20th and your reply. My relative was diagnosed as schizophrenic the first time she was admitted and bi-polar at another institution the second time around. She was admitted because she was seeing and hearing things, convinced that certain people were bad and out to get her etc. She has been cutting herself since her early teens and attempted suicide several times, she also seems to be seeking love as she sleeps around a lot. As far as I know she was on (excuse spelling) cypromil, epilum and stillnox - would these be for bi-polar or schizophrenia? Are they dangerous during pregnancy? She did fall pregnant but had an early miscarriage.

OK, there can be some overlap between some symptoms of schizophrenia and those of Bipolar Disorder, and where there has been some confusion, a re-assessment is needed, but its unlikely that BOTH diagnoses apply. Stilnox is a reasonably safe sleeping medicine ; Cipramil is an antidepressant, and Epilim is used both to treat epilepsy and to treat bipolar disorder ; none of these meds are used in treatign schizophrenia as such.
All medication is undesirable during pregnancy, though one sometimes has to weight the risks of medication and of untreated disorder. IF she sleeps around a lot, for whatever reason, careful contraception would seem very important to ensure.