Question
Posted by: Leigh | 2005/06/14

Bi-Polar versus ADD

My husband has been diagnosed with ADD but I think he could have Bi-Polar but not to the extreme. Is there a link between ADD and Bi-polar?

Diagnosing ADD in adults is still a very controversial diagnosis. ADD is not linked to Bipolar, though there are some potential overlaps between symptoms. The diagnosis, and the treatment plan, must be made by an experienced specialist psychiatrist, and not just a GP

1
Posted by: Liza | 2005/06/14

Since they both have similar causes - yes it could be linked. Its only the different symptoms that give a different diagnosis. The most important part is being assessed and treated by a qualified psychiatrist and not just a GP.

Reply to Liza