Question
Posted by: carli | 2006/04/21

Bi-Polar & Pregnancy

Can anybody tell me how a sufferer is affected if/when they fall pregnant? My friends 16 year old daughter has fallen pregnant and we are extremely worried as to how she will cope?

There's no broad and general answer --- they ought to speak to whichever shrink is treating their daughter, who ought to know enough of the relevant details to be able to answer as to how this particular girl will be able to deal with the situation. I presume that no pregnancy at 16 was planned, so there will be both physical / hormonal and emotional / stress factors relevant here.
Oh, and one point to Cleo --- it is not true to say that vitamins are not toxic. In normal doses and amounts they may be healthy and helpful --- in excessive amounts they can often be really harmful

6
Posted by: Cleo | 2006/04/30

OK but who in their right mind will take 2kg of Vitamin A for breakfast???

Reply to Cleo
Posted by: Cleo | 2006/04/21

Get her onto a vitamin and mineral programme through a nutritionist - all medication/drugs are toxic - vitamins arent.

Reply to Cleo
Posted by: Carli | 2006/04/21

Thanx for the response LS. The baby is due almost any day now and when i asked how she was, i was told she is absolutely great? feeling very positive etc. etc. She is also not going to breatfeed the baby as apparently her medication could have an effect on the baba. She is also giving the baby up for adoption so ja, i think she is going to go thru a rough time still

Reply to Carli
Posted by: Lonestar | 2006/04/21

Ok I am not an expert but being Bipolar myself can give you advise as I was Bipolar at the time of my sons birth but was not positvely diagnosed at that time. Thinking back now it did cause a lot of difficulties back then of which Major depression was number one. Because of the fact that during pregnancy your hormone levels fluctuate so much as it progresses (so it is normal to expect moodswings in any case) she can expect to have severe mood swings and again if she has been diagnosed as Bipolar II, swing from one EXTREME to the other which will need to be closely monitered as extreme depression can lead to suicidal ideation.

If she is on medication for BP at the moment the doctors might need to revise the current meds as not all of them are safe to use during pregnancy. She'll need to speak to both her shrink and gynae.

I can't think of anything else of the top of my head, but will post if i do think of anything else.

LS

Reply to Lonestar
Posted by: Carli | 2006/04/21

My friends 16 year old daughter (who is bi polar) fell pregnant?

Reply to Carli
Posted by: Lonestar | 2006/04/21

Sorry I don't quite understand, is the daughter or your friend Bipolar?

Reply to Lonestar