Posted by: stressed out | 2008/11/18

bi-polar partner please help

cs I was hoping you could help here, my partner has been working in Angola, kicked out, boozing and whoring with little girls of 14.he is bi-polar and when on meds controllable but when he gets into this situation the drinking and drugging he can' t stop.
his lying drunk and out of his mind at home right now.
i saw the pictures of these little black girls on his lap and he thought he had erased them, there were messages inviting one to dinner as well.
he has a gun and on sunday while I was busy in the house forced my 12yr old to load the gun then point it at his sister, this child was in shock when the sister told him how accidents happen.when I brought it up with him he said it was only a joke.
while asleep he spoke a lot and one on the sentence was that guy needs to be put away let me blow him.
he is a patient of tara clinic,i called them to see if they could come and get him in a straight jacket as he was wild.i was told to make a booking for him,then seeing as his a outpatient they couldn' t help.
where and how can i get him committed when in this situation, he is now scared and i know it will take a long time before he can stabilise on his prozac.his been off drink and booze for 15 mths and it was a peaceful life now its a life of hell.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Gosh, yesterday it seems everyone was suicidal, today everyone seems Bipolar ! It is absolutely impossible to successfully treat anyone with Bipolar Disorder ( or, indeed, most other disorders ) if they are drinking heavily, let alone if they are taking drugs which also affect the brain. And I wonder how much of his behaviour can be blamed on Bipolar Disorder, and how much the disorder is being used by him as an excuse.
And if he was being treated only with prozac, and not also a mood-stabilizer like Lithium or several others, then I wonder about the diagnosis.
The incident of getting a child to point a loaded gun at another child is very serious nindeed, wholly abusive and of course nothing like a joke. Child welfare might be able to advise on ways they could help, too, as the children must not be left in danger ( and can't the gun be taken away while he is asleep and placed in safe-keeping, perhaps at your local police-station ? )
He sounds seriosuly out of contol, and an active danger to the children, to himself, and perhaps to you. I'm amazed that Tarat could ignore all this and suggest an outpatient appointment. I wonder who gace you this advice --- was it a senior specialist there ? If not, maybe your next call should be to his specialist, and not a receptionist or nurse. Otherwise, he could be compulsorily admitted elsewhere, but you'd need medical involvement. Doe you or he have a local GP who could help ? is there another psychiatrist who has seen him ? Even the police might be able to help, as the gun episode with the children was probably a criminal offense, and they have powers to start the procedures towards compulsory admission, assessment and treatment

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: TUFF LOVE | 2008/11/19

My heart bleeds for you and him. I have come through the same experience and believe me there is nothing that you can do as a partner - it is a debilitating condition that often does more harm to the loved ones than to the patient himself. Combined with habitual drinking you will be fighting a losing battle to even try to intervene. emotions aside you have got to do what is best for you and your kids.
People like him need special and expert care and treatment which you and I will not be able to provide in a million years.
to be frank do whats best for you , him and the kids - Get out as fast as you can.your life might be in danger if you continue to be involved and subject yourself to the consequences of his actions-its an abnormality - I lived through it for 5 years and it doesnt get better.sad to say

Reply to TUFF LOVE
Posted by: stressed out!! | 2008/11/18

thanks CS it' s like I said when he wants to party he stops all medication.His on loads of them but prozac I ssw him take daily. He screams at us and just listening to him makes ones skin crawl, he screams and is very vulgar and demanding, the house being his he takes advantage and threatens to kick us out.
his still asleep since 6h00 am and hasn' t woken.
the receptionist at Tara first refused then asked someone else for advice, I was told to book, I can' t call the SAP that will make him more crazier as he feels there is nothing wrong with him.when drinking he has a runny tummy and it can' t stop.Yes he blames all his evil doing to his sickness.
I am leaving but still house hunting and just wondering in the meantime if push comes to shove how to commit him.

Reply to stressed out!!

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.