Question
Posted by: PETER | 2007/02/21

BI-POLAR DEPRESSION

I was recently diagnosed with Bi-Ppolar 1, after being incorrect;y diagnosed for 20 years, as having just chronic depression. I have been treated incorrectly with sleep therapy, ECT, and a huge amount of drugs, none of which have made any difference. I was also recently diagnosed with Frontal Lobe Epilepsy and am very drug resistant. I am sometimes embarrassed to go to my doctor, as the treatment does not work. I run a business, and am finding it extremely difficult to operate normally. I also have seizures ( +- 1-2 a month ) and am reluctant to drive my car, which I need to do to see clients. Has my late diagnoses affected any sort of recovery ?

Sleep therapyh is the incorrect treatment for EVERYTHING< and only used by quacks who apparently haven't bothered to read the relevant literature or to notice that it has been abandoned by every sensible shrink on earth, and has been condemnded by all sensible major organizations in the field.
It sounds as though your situation is complicated, though it should still be practical to get things usefully under control. I wonder who made the new, correct diagnosis, after the years of possibly misdirected treatment ? Presumably this was a second ( or subsequent ) opinion ; and whoever made such a new diagnosis would have the duty to recommend a changed treatment plan, taking the new diagnosis into account, and seeking better results. Maybe medications like Lamictin which have more recently been shown more definitely to help in Bipolar Depressions and their prevention, need to be tried ; and CBT counselling could still add to the benefits.
Frontal Lobe epilepsy is a rarer diagnosis ( compared to, say, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, which I have more frequently seen in such situatuions ) ; and requires thought about its own treatment ; the possible impact on your safety as a driver has to be assessed carefully by the doctor who made the diagnosis.
Don't be embarrassed to tell any doctor that the treatment being tried, doesn't seem to be working for you --- without such feedback, he can't vary it and be helpful --- it'd be like you seeing clients who didn't speak to you ---you couldn't help them either