Posted by: Dave | 2007/03/06


Our daughter has been diagnosed with bi-polar. She is 39 years of age, married with 2 children. My wife and I need assistance in helping her, please advise how we should tackle the problem. Also how can her husband help her as she can be so tempremental, shouts at the children, and can be quite a pain sometimes (which we assume is part of the problem of bi-polar)

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

You need to schedule a discussion with the psychiatrist treating her, for advice specific to her needs and problems. Excellent responses from Lynda and jcat

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Jcat | 2007/03/06


My thoughts are with you, and the rest of the family. Living with BP can be difficult, but that is no excuse for her being a pain. That's purely a normal, standard personality issue!

Lynda's list of contacts and support groups is comprehensive, and you should find some help there. First thing though, would be for you to ask your daughter to allow a group session with her p-doc. No-one other than a p-doc should be making the diagnosis, and there will be a lot of issues that he would be able to explain with specific reference to your daughter.

Bipolar covers a large spectrum, from the typical 'manic depressive', through all sorts of combinations and quirks. She should be on medication, and he would be able to explain the effects and side-effects of that. He would be able to tell you which areas of BP she falls into, and which concurrent diagnoses she has. Many BP suffererers are also prone to a wide range of other illnesses, such as Borderline Personality, psychoses, various affective disorders, etc.

Obviously, it would need to be done with your daughters agreement, but a session with parents, spouse and her could be beneficial for all concerned.

I'm 41, with BP2 - which in my case is just turning into never ending depression. My folks asked last year for a session with my p-doc, which I agreed to. It didn't go that well at the time, but it did give them some idea on how to handle things.


Reply to Jcat
Posted by: Lynda | 2007/03/06

Dave, I suggest you contact The Anxiety & Depression

Helpline JHB 011 783-1474/6

Bi-Polar Disorder Helpline 011 883-9542/011 783-1474

Bi-Polar Support Groups Wendy Roux 011 425-6746

JHB BiPolar Crisis Support 082 551 4592

Christine 082 376-7404

Anxiety & Depression Support Group

Cape Town 021 913-4046/689-3507

Hope these contact numbers can be of assistance to you and your daughter and her family.

Is your daughter on medication. If so, perhaps you or her husband should have a word with her Psychiatrist explaining her behaviour. The medication should control her moods.

Reply to Lynda

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.