Posted by: Inge | 2008/07/31

Bi-lateral cleft lip and Van Der Woude

I am a 27year old female with a bi-lateral cleft lip and Van Der Woude syndrome. My Father, 66years, has a cleft lip and palate with Van Der Woude syndrome. He was the first in the family with this syndrome.
I know that the gene has been found and linked to the syndrome, but that the study on the prevention of this syndrome is still in the very begining! I would appreciate it if you could reply with any information to minimize our chances of having a baby with this syndrome when my husband and I decide to start a family.

Dear Inge

Since the gene has been isolated and is diagnostic, there is the possibility that diagnosis can be made in the pre-genetic stage of the embryo. This involves the process of invitro fertilization with embryo production and each embryo can be individually tested for the gene expression. However, since there is more than one chromosome modifier it may be somewhat more complicated in testing for all gene expressions. However in conclusion, it is a feasible option to consider as a preventative measure.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim