Posted by: Jacques12 | 2007/05/02

Better Health - DIETDOC

Hi , I've got major depression, uses 30mg Cipralex a day, 200mg Seroquel, 1.5mg Rivotril. Want to increase my serotonin levels so I am cutting carbonated drinks, eating less processed foods, cutting caffeine,using 3000mg Vitamin C daily, 3000mg Flaxseed oil -Omega 3,6,9 daily. and Gingko Biloba and drinking Chamomile and Green Tea, instead of coffee. Starting a 3day a week exercise program. Will doing this help me lessen my depression, by increasing serotonin and decrasing toxins and free radicals in my body as well as the anxiety??????

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Jacques12
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from Major depression. Dietary factors that help to increase serotonin levels in the brain include increasing your carbohydrate intake (at least 8 portions a day of unprocessed, unsifted carbs like high-bran breakfast cereals, cooked porridges, oats, brown rice, pasta made with Durum wheat, etc) and your protein intake (milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, lean meat, fatty fish, eggs, and legumes like dry beans, peas, lentils and soya products). It is a good idea to cut out carbonated drinks that contain caffeine and coffee and substituting chamomile and green tea and your plan to do regular exercise is excellent. You may have heard that regular exercise produces natural chemicals in the body called endorphins that lift the mood. I do, however, think that you are taking too much vitamin C - excessive doses can cause kidney stones - so reduce your intake to less than 1000 mg per day. You need to discuss the use of Gingko Biloba with the dr who is prescribing your medications to check if this will not interfere with their efficacy. Also mention that other supplements that you are taking as certain supplements can interact with medications and this is something the dr will have to check for you.
I hope you will soon feel better

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.