Question
Posted by: Spiros | 2004/01/26

Best weight gaining foods for high metabolism

Can you please help. I have been gyming for a couple of years, have been through numerous wieght gaining programs supplied by proffesionals. I am currently busy with the workout program supplied by this web-page. However, my metabolisim is extremely fast and i never seem to pick up weight. When I do, it is a mere 1 to 2.5kg which i loose within a week and a half of not gyming. I do realise that I must eat a considerable amount of food (1.5 to 2x my body weight of protein), but my budget does not allow for this. Could you please refer me to meals that would me gain muscle in conjuction with my wieght training program. Thank you

Dear Spiros
For people who have a very rapid metabolism it is just as difficult to gain weight as it is for overweight people to lose it. You do NOT have to eat such a lot of protein, 90-120g a day is more than enough to supply you with all the protein your body needs to build muscles (i.e. a 60g portion of lean meat or fish, an egg and 3-4 cups of full cream milk or yoghurt a day). Athletes and body builders tend to neglect their carbohydrate intake and it has been found that carbs are 'protein-sparing', thus I would suggest that you start eating more unprocessed and unsifted carbs (wholewheat bread, rye bread, high-fibre cereals, oats, Maltabella, unsifted maize meal, brown rice, samp, crushed wheat or sorghum, pasta made of 100% Durum wheat, wholewheat or rye crackers and biscuits, fruit and vegetables). Most of these foods are not expensive, and by increasing your energy and carb intakes you will save on the amount of protein you require. I would also suggest that you do some relaxing exercises and get more sleep as you may be overstimulating your metabolism.