Question
Posted by: Deen | 2004/10/12

Best time to burn fat and build muscle.

Which is the most effective time for a man to burn fat and perhaps build muscle simultaneously?

Hi Deen

There's no best time, many people are under the impression that mornings work better, but this is probably not true in most cases. What I will say is that if you are an endurance athlete, say training for a marathon, then training in the mornings, before breakfast, may be a good way to train, because it causes the body to rely more on fat stores, and this over time, creates an adaptaion of burning more fat. However, here we are talking an hour easy run before breakfast, or even longer, and certainly not a muscle building session. I presume that you are going to the gym, doing some weight training mixed with cardio. If this is the case, perhaps the best thing is to go whenever suits you (during the day, I mean) and make sure that you are reasonably well fed before. In otherwords, training after not eating for 12 hours (overnight or late afternoon having only eaten breakfast) is probably not a great idea, it may take away from the muscle building aspect. I think that one very important thing is that you don't spread the session too thin. In otherwords, don't cram as much cardio and as much weight work as possible into one session. You have perhaps 5 days a week to train, and I would say that 1 or 2 could be mixed sessions (cardio plus weights), 1 pure weights session where you really go for the muscle building by doing heavier weights and fewer reps with longer recoveries, and 1 or 2 pure cardio sessions where the focus is more on burning that energy.

Hope this helps