Question
Posted by: Ilani | 2007/07/25

Best time for excersize?

Dear Diet Doc

I have been on Weighless for two years and have lost 42 kilos so far. I still have about 25 to go. I have been on a plateu, and have now started excersizing to boost my metabolism a bit. I get up at 05h20, have coffee, and then do tem minutes cardio and after that arm and tummy excersizes. I have now read on some of your posts that it is best to eat before excersizing, and that time of the morning is a litlle bit early to eat! What time do you recommend for excersizing? I usually only have breakfast - All bran flakes and yogurt- at 09h00, during teabreak at work. Is this too late?

Thanks for all the good advice, I visit this site daily for tips and inspiration!

Dear Ilani
Congratulations on losing 42 kg - you are a bright ****star**** - that's nearly a whole person and you have done this by using a sensible diet. Wonderful!!! You are correct that exercise will stimulate your metabolism and promote further weight loss. Now the reason why it is a good idea to have some carbohydrates before doing exercise esp after the overnight fast (i.e. 10 or more hours without food while you are sleeping), is that your blood sugar levels will be very low when you get up and you need fuel for your physical exertion. Try having a small carbohydrate snack from your Weighless choices immediately after rising and then do your exercise. I also think that you will probably function more efficiently at work if you have your All-bran and yoghurt a bit earlier. The idea is to get your blood sugar up to a level where your brain can work at its best and fasting for another 4 hours after exercise may deplete the blood sugar to the extent that you won't function well.
Hope you can work out a programme that increases your blood sugar levels so that you can exercise efficiently and cope at work.
Keep up the good work