Question
Posted by: help | 2004/12/12

best pill for depressed pms

Hi there,

I was wondering whether you could help me. Before going on the pill I suffered from depressed mood and irregularity and therefore went on triphasil to stop this. I think i reacted to the prgesterone and was extremely depressed and irritable all the time, I have now changed to yasmin and have been on it for quite a while. I am not sure if this is normal, but I get very depressed and touchy (cry a lot) a week or two before my period. Otherwise I feel fine. I was wondering whether there was any other low progesterone or light pill which would be helpful or better for depression before coming on. thank you.

The low dose pills usually refer to a low dose of oestrogen rather than progesterone. The progesterone side of the Pill relates more to the different types of progesterone, rather than the dose. Yasmin's progesterone component, is actually not progesterone but a compound which has a similar effect. If you are still havign premenstrual depression , perhaps you could try short course antidepressants at this time. Discuss this with your gynaecologist.

1
Posted by: MJ | 2004/12/13

I was also on Yasmin after trying quite a few different pills. My gynae prescribed PMS Forte for me, which seemed to help dramatically. It's only a combination of vitamins and minerals along with Primrose Eve. Give it a try the natural way. Just remember: you're not crazy, there are many of us out there who seem to get really bad PMS. Mine became worse the older I became.

Good luck.

Reply to MJ