Question
Posted by: flossie | 2005/12/13

best before date?

i made it my new years resolution to clean out my medicine drawer. now the year is almost done and i have to do it before the next new year!

please advise - does medicine also have a "best before" date? what about ointments, capsules, tablets etc?

with the terribly high cost of medicine these days, i surely dont want to destroy something which is still usable.

thanks,
flossie

Expert ImagePharmacist

Flossie,

Yes, all medication has expiry dates - This should be clearly indicated on the packaging. If the products in you drawer is past this date you'll have to get rid of it. A good idea would be to take the expired meds to your pharmacy instead of throwing it into the dustbin - Your pharmacy has proper means of destroying expired meds.