Posted by: anxious | 2008/10/20

I have found an empty bottle of benzyne in my daughters bedroom, what is she using this for - drug wise - is it used for sniffing, if so, please advise on the symptons, so i can notice in future and also what damage it will do to her.
thank you

Expert ImageTeen expert

benzyne is inhaled when used as a substance and can be highly dangerous and toxic. It can make the person seem disoriented, almost in a drunk kind of way, sleepy or droopy eyes and generally what would be described as "zoned out" or "out of it."

Inhaling substances of this kind can cause brain damage, and in some cases inhaling can cause sudden death. It is very dangerous and you must intervene. Remove any items you find and you will need to speak with her about the dangers. I would also recommend that you take her to see your GP to have her checked out medically. Please also consider her seeing a therapist or drugs counsellor to assess the level of abuse. For further information a good resource is the Cape Town Drugs Counselling Centre - you can contact them via

Posted by: Kman | 2008/10/20

Hi There,

Bezene is primarily sniffed when used as a drug, I am not trying to defend your daughter in any way but dont just jump to conclusions, and if you find out that she is sniffing benzene talk to her and sort the problem dont launch into a shouting match as this could make her rebel.

Best of Luck :-)

Reply to Kman