Question
Posted by: Marie | 2007/04/16

benefits of grapes

To anyone who may be in doubt, this is a dietary query to Dietdoc, not a new recommended slimming diet.

A friend of mine many years ago told me about a "grape fast" she sometimes went on and how good it made her feel.

Over the past two months, after having somewhat indulged over the weekend due to parties or Easter, etc. I've eaten only grapes on the following Monday. What amazes me is that I do not feel dizzy at all, do not get headaches, and actually truly feel better after such a day of "grape-ing", contrary to other 1-day fasts I went on in the past, which made me feel weak and gave me headaches. I actually contemplate doing this for one day once a month. Are there properties in grapes, despite its high sugar content, that are especially good that could give these more positive effects?

Dear Marie
Yes, I am aware of these 'grape diets/fasts' and that most people, but not all tend to find that they do not suffer headaches (this is due to the high sugar content of the grapes that keeps blood sugar levels high) and generally feel good on this regimen. You can certainly use one day a month on the grape diet as long as it does not interfere with your mental or physical performance.
Enjoy