Question
Posted by: Arbizu | 2003/12/12

Bench Press & AC Joint

Hey Conrad

A brief background. I have been out of gym for over three months now due to Bursitis in my left AC joint and inflammation in the left rotator cuff. Thousands of rands ( no joke ),Dr's visits, Fisio, and Bio later I am about to start traning again although I still have pain in the left shoulder. I have an appointment on Monday with the Bio to work out a prog for me.
My question for you though:
Could you please explain the function of the AC joint and in particular in Bench Press and other pressing and pulling movements.
My quack said that the AC is wonderful little joint and that ALL the power from your arms go through the AC joint so I takes a lot strain, hence the reason it is a little prone to injury through weight training, but I would like a more detailed explanation pleeze.

Thanx and Thanx for a great forum and prompt responces!

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Arbizu,

Apologies for the less than prompt response this time-it's this time of year!!!

There is not much more that I can say about the AC (Acromio Clavicular) joint that your doctor has not said yet. It is also there for stability as well as transfer of power as mentioned before.

It is very prone to injury especially in contact sports like rugby etc. and with weight training this vulnerability is also exploited. The rotator cuff is also another culprit in this situation but what you usually find is that it is never an "either-or" situation but that all of these problems are linked and associated with one another. Did they also check you for impingement syndrome? That is also a very real possibility.

What I suggest is that your Bio (who I assume knows this) gives you an exhaustive rehab program for your shoulder and that you only move on to regular training once your shoulder has been stabilised fully.

Keep well and let me know how it is going.

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist