Question
Posted by: cable guy | 2003/12/11

bench press

Hi Doc,

Do you think my pecs will grow if i do my barbell press while lying on the floor?

thanks ryan

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Cable Guy,

The other reply has a point. You do want to train through the full range of motion. That said however you should not over stretch the range of motion to such a point that other muscles take over and the ones you are trying to train are not working anymore.

Rather see if you can find a bench to train on.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist

2
Posted by: Bob | 2004/01/02

The excercise ur referring to, is called the floor press. U want to hit the floor with ur arms, relax for 1/2 second and press again, the idea is to build explosiveness and work on the week point that the floor press puts as ur start position. It is harder than a complete range-of-motion on a regular flat bench due to the loss of the stretch reflex(the kinetic energy that builds up through ur eccentric motion) and the disadvantaged mechanics at that particular position in ur bench.

This excercise however, is NOT a substitute for regular bench, u will not build a huge bench by simply focusing on ur floor press.

Reply to Bob
Posted by: G | 2003/12/11

They probably will but I dont think the excersize will be as effective because you are not going through the full motion thus not stretching the pec to its limits.

Reply to G