Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom to be | 2003/12/17

Below Average Baby

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been advised by my gynae that my baby's development is only that of a 27 week old fetus.
Baby's growth is impaired due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients from the placenta.
I am no doubt very worried and concerned,
I have been retaining water from about 1 month ago, which has led to my feet, hands and face being swollen & sore.
I cannot help but think that all this is related .
Doctos has recommended complete bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy, but what does complete bed rest entail?
I need some advise on the effects that this is having on the baby.

I assume that your blood pressure is normal. This sometimes goes up if you have leg swelling. If this is the case, then the growth of the baby may be related to a high blood pressure.
Bedrest in your case would imply taking things easy, i.e. sitting most of the time rather than being active. Talking on the phone and working on a laptop would not use up energy, so will not affect the baby.

1
Posted by: Belle | 2003/12/17

Hi concerned mom to be

When I was 17 weeks pregnant I was admitted to hospital with because I was bleeding. I had to have complete bed rest for a while. That meant I could get up to go to the toilet. My husband put the phone next to me, came home every day to make me lunch, looked after our other child and cleaned the house. I was not able to do anything. Short shower and toilet thats it. Sometimes the placenta calcifies early, in other words it starts going hard and doesn't work as effectively, this uaually only happens towards the end of the pregnancy but can happen earlier. You need the bed rest so that as much oxygen and nutrients will go to the baby as possible instead of you using more than neccesary. There is also no point in sitting in bed but still being active, eg talking on the phone all day or working on a lap top, the idea is to do as little as possible. You might end up having the baby early if this doesn't help.

Reply to Belle