Question
Posted by: haaibo | 2005/05/31

believe in yourself

i have a great job. I enjoy it (although I must ad that the real me is the siesta type living type) i'm not motivated by money or status, or all the stuff that keeps a lot of people going. now i have this real corporate opportunity. high profile job. stessful interiview - doing the presentation and all. its not really me, but i'm doing it, just to show myself that I can. but i can't help but being scared. do you guys have any good advice to not be scared. why am I scared? I'm not scared of not getting it. I'm scared of things that usually don't scare me at all, like, will they think I am capable and know enough? does it really matter? cybershrink, I'm sure from all your experience you have come across someone who is doing something well, but does not believe that they do. help pleez.

Hello haaibo,
So, you're already well ahead of most SA's. you have a great job AND enjoy it. and you don't have an excessive drive for money or status. But now, you feel ambivalent about this new opportunity, because it shakes the comfort zone you've settled into. And maybe it wakens a small fear inside you that you might not be quite as good as they think you are, and might be exposed as a sham if you really blow this interview ?
First recognize that it doesn't threaten to take away the good things you already have. So what's the down-side, what's the risk ? At the very worst the interviewers, what, a couple of people, might not think you're absolutely brilliant. If you're nervous, they'll see that and take it into acount in explaining if your presentation is less than stunning. Prepare well, practise on your own so you know you're fluent and will keep to time. They already know you're capable and know enough, or they wouldn't have even wasted their time asking you to interview. It's not just you that thinks you're doing well --- obviously they think so too, already