Question
Posted by: Burper | 2002/12/06

Belching

I often belch (burp) and it is really annoying my partner. Are there any foods I should avoid? I know that gas cooldrinks and beer are known causes - anything else?

Dear Reader
Burping and development of excess gas in the gi tract can be due to many different causes and if this condition persists, then it may be advisable to have a medical examination to try and determine what underlying causes there are, e.g. gastritis, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, enzyme deficiency, etc. These reactions are also very individual and you may find it helpful to keep a food diary and also list your symptoms, to see which foods cause distress. Generally the following foods can cause gas build-up: the cabbage family (including broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower), legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils, soy beans and products made from soy beans such as textured vegetable protein which is used in many processed foods), raw onions, garlic, green peppers and cucumber, very spicy and very fatty foods, plus excessive coffee, tea, gas cold drinks and all forms of alcohol.