Posted by: catherine | 2009/07/28


my dogter was satergaand deur n inbreker in die bed verras hy het blykbaar haar broek losgemaak sy is baie getraumatiseer en wil nie daaroor praat nie ek het haar dokter toe geneem hulle het haar net n kalmeerpil gegee,en gese sy moet vir berading gaan si is 14 jaar oud en baie bang ek is so emosioneel en wonder net wat se bangheid sy moes deurmaak hoe help ek haar deur die ding en waar kry ek die berading wat in pretoria is,ek is baie beskermd oor haar en voel ek het haar in die steek gelaat om nie die oomblik by haar te wees nie
help asb dokter

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Its important not to press her to talk about this, but to make it clear that you are ready to listen when she is ready to talk about it. Be very cautious that your own understandable anxiety and fear doesn't in its turn frighten her. Children quite often handle trauma better than we expect, and may be more frightened by their parents' fear and guilt than even by the events. I underetand your feelings, but of course you did not let her down --- you could not be with her a that time and if you had, maybe things would have turned out even worse than they did. You don't mention what happened to the rest of you, but maybe some individual and family ounselling for all of you might help, and your local FAMSA branch should be able to recommend some family counsellors with experience in helpin people deal with trauma. If there should be other aspects of how your daughter seems to be reacting to this experience, then some sessions with a child psychiatrist ( and there are some good ones in PRetoria ) may help, for assessment and general advice. For various good reasons I can't recommend any specific shrinks through this website. But you GP may know some child psychiatrists, and Lifeline should know of some, and the SASOP website may also list some.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.