Posted by: Pieter | 2010/07/13

Being victimized

I have a manager at work that is constantly on my case for everything. Does not matter what i do the manager always sends me negative emails.
She confronted me a while back, because someone told her that i was telling lies about her. I confronted that person in front of her and he could not answer me. Since then she is making my life hell. I can''t sleep at night and is suicidal.
What is my rights and what can i do.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Being victimized

Your rights in this situation is to raise an internal grievance and you can also go to the CCMA or the Bargaining C9ouncil concerned to challenge the fact that you've been victimised. Unfortunately victimisation means that after the CCMA has a conciliation and if it is not settled it will would have to go to the labour court.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: PUrple | 2010/07/13

Go and see her manager or your HR department and lodge a grievance.
Print out and keep the e-mails that she sends to you and ask her to give you work instructions in writing (bullies love to give vague instructions so that no matter how you do a task, it is wrong as you should have done it differently, and you dare not ask questions for clarity otherwise you are told you are stupid and incompetent).
Buy a diary for the purpose, and keep notes on each day about when she humiliates you in front of others, when she gives deliberately vague instructions and so on.
Record your grievance in the diary and what happened about it - how it was resolved or what happened as a result.

Go and see a psychologist for some help with your severe depression and also speak to your GP, they might be able to refer you to someone.

If there is no improvement after your grievance, go to the next level manager and so on until you are out of options. Then resign and state clearly in your letter why you are resigning, what efforts you have gone to to resolve the problem and so on and then go straight to the CCMA and claim constructive dismissal.

If you absoloutely cannot leave because you have no savings and so on, start looking for another job now, and resign when you find one, but do take her on for constructive dismissal. It will make you feel better and save others from the same fate.

Have someone read over your notes and so on before you go to these lenghts though, as the abuse you get from her needs to be seriously intolerable, and what makes one person feel suicidal just bounces off another person.

Reply to PUrple

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.