Posted by: sadi | 2008/07/08

Being patient and answering questions

Hi CS, I hope you are well. I really admire you for doing what u do on this forum, you must have the patience of Job. I dont understand the human race and I dont intend to try. I dont understand why people like to live in the past, dig up the past, revell in it, make their world revolve around it, be miserable about it when there is a future ahead of all of us. We all have to suffer the consequences of choices we make, but why let bad things and bad choices rule our lives?? Why is it so difficult for some people to move forward in their lives. I was complaining about something to someone one day and they said to me: "What do you have RIGHT NOW that you can be thankful for, just one tiny thing and think only about that."
That is when I decided that NOW and what I have NOW is more important than all the if only;s or butts or maybe's that could
have been in my life. And please believe me Im not in denial about my past, I have moved on and my life has been the better for that.

Thanks for the compliment, sadi. Compared to Job, I have many fewer camels and donkeys, and boils are about all I HAVEN'T been inflicted with, so far.
Yes, isn't it odd that humans are so enamoured of the past --- the way most people do it, seems to me like paying rent not only for this year, but for every past year, over and over again. Animals do it better. If there's an important lesson to learn like, fire is hot and sore, avoid it ) they learn the lesson and move on.
As you say, we all make bad choices in life, but rather than learn which choices are worth avoiding, some people insist in the foly of wanting to change choices they have already made. Yours sounds like a sensible policy more could follow with benefit. I wouldn't say we should only live in the NOW, but in an informed now, informed by the past and planning a future, not idly redesigning the past.