Question
Posted by: Being outed | 2006/04/14

Being out of the closet

I have recently ended a relationship with a young woman, the relationship ended very badly.
She wants to tell my school that I am a lesbian.Ii am in matric this year.
I can't let the school find out because I am a prefect and in a first sports team.
I have tried to ask her not to do it but she is hel bent on letting everybody know.
What should I do? And can the school do anything to me for being gay?
Can I be kicked out of my team and be expeled from being a prefect?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Firstly it woud be anti-constitutional for your school to remove your prefectship for being gay - so no legally they cannot do this. The same goes for your team involvement.

If this person is so intent on outing you - and it sounds as if it is out of malice then perhaps you would consider going to see either the school counsellor or a teacher you trust to discuss the matter. Your ex has no right to do this and may find herself alienated for acting in this way.

You could also choose to deny her allegations if you wish - it would after all be her word against yours. Ultimately she will be the one who looks silly and petty for her actions. Is she at your school? If not then this will have even less impact.

Importantly, you should feel positive about yourself including your sexuality, and in this regard there is nothing this person can do to you.

For further advice and information why not post your question to our Gay and Lesbian expert from Triangle Project, here at Health24.

Try not to worry too much - you have not done anything wrong.

1

If I wanted to save my face I would get another girlfriend from the same school you go to and do the normal "couple" stuff there. Like maybe kiss her on the cheek at lunch everyday or something.