Posted by: wondering | 2013/02/18

being intimate with someone who is paralised


i have started to date someone who is paralised. he is a great guy and I would like to give a relationship with him a fair chance. but we will not be able to have sex due to him being paralised. is it 100% hopeless or are there other ways of being intimate?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSexologist

Hi, there are many ways to be intimate and the level of involvement that this man is able to engage in depends on the degree of his paralysis. This relationship would definitely require adaptation and good communication, and depending on the problems experienced, there may be medical interventions to assist with sexual expression (eg. vasoactive drugs to assist with erection).

Claire - SASHA

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: XXX | 2013/02/21

I remember the late Christopher Reeves'' wife saying that an erection in a man is an involuntary action and not a voluntary action,therefore he can have an erection.If this is the case,you would probably have to do the movement/work.

I would make sure you want to continue with this relationship,as having a good sex life is never easy and without being insensitive,this might make things more difficult.
On the flip side,many people will tell you that a relationship is not all about the sex,so it is up to you what you want out of a relationship.
Maybe continue with it and see what happens if/when it gets to the point of having sex,you might be surprised.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Rina | 2013/02/20

Hi wondering, there is a vacuumpump designed for persons that are paralised, it is called vacurect..look on the website

Reply to Rina

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.