Posted by: Shary | 2008/08/27

being in love for 33 years

After 33 years, I find my high school friend on internet. He lives far away from me. We both are married with children. We were just friends back then. He told me that he was in love with me back then and he still is. He said he loves his wife, and she is a great woman and great mother, but I was the only love in his life. And we are exchanging emails very often now and sometimes we even talk over the phone. I told my husband about him and about our talking, he doesn’ t mind that. I was never in love with him and I was a little surprised when he confessed about his feelings. I just want to know, does this mean he has some mental problem or something like that? Could somebody be in love for such a long time? Is that wise I continue my friendship with him (we can never meet in person anyway)

TWO dilemmas about high school pals today ? What's happening ? This sounds so like the other one, I wonder if they're from the same person --- read my response to the other almost identical question. Don't cheat, there's no excuse for doing so. Continuing a friendship with him is unwise --- tell him gently that you are very hapilly married and plan to remain thus, and suggest he seek mariage counselling to healh his own relarionship with his wife.

Posted by: TK | 2008/08/28

Hey dont take him seriously hes just flirting with u. ok

Reply to TK
Posted by: Curious | 2008/08/28

He has probably " romanticized"  the past, is a bit bored with his now aging wife and life in general and is having fantasy' s about you. Remember he still sees you as you were over 30 years ago.

Very flattering but I doubt very much if he would feel the same way if you were to meet again. Don' t you ever think of past boyfriends and wonder how it would have turned out if you had married them instead?

Just be careful that this does not affect your feelings and relationship with your husband.

Reply to Curious
Posted by: OZA | 2008/08/28

He could be my ex had a boyfriend much same as your story he proclaimed he loved my ex also after 20 odd years that was 10 years ago. So I doubt he has a few screws loose he is just a person who is able too love someone even after so many years.

Reply to OZA