Question
Posted by: chewed | 2004/10/28

being chewed by my new kiiten

Please help, I got a kitten about 3 weeks ago, she's the cutest thing but insists on chewing my fingers.
If she's on my lap, she'll chew + claw my hands, and arms. if I'm walking around she goes for my feet and ankles. generally I don't mind but it's quite sore, I've got all these little on my hands. she also does this at night, when she wakes up and wants to play, she chews you, but lately she's doing it more and more and has also started clawing at my face.
Obviously she wants to play, she has toys and a stratching post. someone said to me she's hungry, but there's always food in her dish.

Hi chewed
You are much bigger and more resourceful than yur kitten and you really shouldn't allow her to do this. Always play with her using a toy and stop lay immediately she gets too rough. If necessary spray your hands, feet and face with a solution of bitter aloe or citronella oil to deter her, but always give her something else to chew instead of you. Put her in another room at night or ignore her if she wants to play as this could develop into a big problem when you aren’t getting any sleep. If I were you I would control her eating by putting her food down 3 or 4 times a day for half an hour, removing it whether or not she has eaten. Give her raw chicken wings to chew as this may satisfy some of the instincts.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: chewed | 2004/10/29

I think she's about 9 weeks old, I'm gonna go this weekend to see what "chew toys" I can find, because this lack of sleep thing is just getting a little much !

Reply to chewed
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/28

Do you have any idea how old this little mite is ??? I think she is trying to suckle .... im not sure how to go about stopping this .... but i wonder if a puppy chewy wouldnt help a bit ..... teething is also a possibility .

Reply to Carol