Question
Posted by: lemon | 2008/07/10

Being a Catholic

I was brought up as a Catholic.

Recently I have felt that I cannot lie to myself anymore about certain of the Church's teachings. I mean they have this thing called adoration where the host is placed in a vessel called a monstrance and then people adore it day and night! How can people with brains actually spend so much time kneeling before a peice of wafer and praying. Sheesh I feel terrible now that I've voiced my opinion - almost like I've cheated on my spouse.
I feel that I'm spiritual and try to do good where I can but can I continue calling myself Catholic when I don't really feel like one?
I don't feel like I need to run off to another denomination because I don't agree with some of the practices there either.

Think I'm just gonna pray about. I'm sure my God will hear me.

I've always felt that a direct prayer stright to HQ was better than aiming at substitutes or symbols.

22
Posted by: Visitor | 2008/07/11

you see Lemon you are on the right path. perhaps you should chat to someone at church as John says. dont turn your back on your church, just sort out what is troubling you as I did. Good luck and God Bless

Reply to Visitor
Posted by: Lemon | 2008/07/11

Confession can also be a form of counselling in my opinion.

Reply to Lemon
Posted by: sadi | 2008/07/11

All any of you had to do was to read CS Reply and you have it in a nutshell. What more is there to say!!

Reply to sadi
Posted by: Zola | 2008/07/10

It's between an individual and his God...whatever works for you, do it and stop judging others.

Reply to Zola
Posted by: visitor | 2008/07/10

Pontif - you are correct so why is it hard to understand. confession is also intercession just like healing

Reply to visitor
Posted by: Pontif | 2008/07/10

2nd thoughts. Dont catholics ask for forgiveness in church - forgive me father for I have sinned" and then the priest in the church says something like "you are forgiven". What nonsense. All you have to do is ask God for forgiveness - not a human being in a church.

Reply to Pontif
Posted by: pontif | 2008/07/10

i wouldn't turn to ray mccauley or benny hinn EVER. Benny Hinn is bad news(believe me) and Katherine Kulman and im not 100% into ray mccauley with his divorce and then marrying again. Would you listen to someone like him? Jimmy Swaggart is another one - caught with a prostitute - unkosher bunch. Na, i believe in theBible only.

Reply to pontif
Posted by: Garfield | 2008/07/10

Visitor,

Your answers are like a microcosm of the faults within the Catholic Church - and the reason I chose to turn my back on it & choose God as goodness.

Your arrogant, sarcastic, mocking post aboves illustrates your ignorance.

"The true Church" says you whilst mocking other people's view of God and feeling smug in your own (ignorant) sense that your beliefs, your church, is the 'true' one.

Perhaps you should re-consider the path to goodness rather than your obvious narcissistic blind faith in the Catholic Church.

Reply to Garfield
Posted by: visitor | 2008/07/10

very good answer John. What always amazes me is how reborn christians knock intercession the catholic church but they run to someone like ray mccauley or benny hinn for healing - do they not realise that is also intercession or do they think these goons are healing them??? I for one am glad i found the path back to the true church

Reply to visitor
Posted by: Pontif | 2008/07/10

Don't want to argue. You cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven but through JESUS CHRIST. He is the only way. Nowhere in the Bible does it say ask Mother Mry to intercede. The Holy Spirit intercedes. Bible says so. Don't fight with the messenger. Argue with God then because the Bible was 'written' by him via Matthew, mark, Luke, John, etc.

Reply to Pontif
Posted by: John | 2008/07/10

Lemon (as in Squeezer?) - I am a practicing Catholic. It seems that you are undergoing a crisis of Faith. Asking for help here, where you have pot-luck as far as atheists, agnostics, protestants and catholics go, is a bit like wandering into a pub with an axe buried in your head and asking for a brain surgeon. Wrong place altogether, as you have seen from some of the responses received. Chat to your priest. If you would feel more comfortable with another practicing catholic - a Reader, a Minister of the Eucharist, a Knight of De Gama - whoever, but chat to someone who will understand what your crisis is. Very few non-Catholics understand Adoration, and will be given to mocking instead supporting. God Bless - I hope you find that peace that you are searching for soon.

Reply to John
Posted by: Babe | 2008/07/10

Ja - As I said before - I will not go into a long discussion with u to prove myself or Catholism. Do u even know what intercession is? N where does Mother Mary being omniscient come into the picture? I did not say that.

But in any case throw your stones - I'll rather be judged than be the first to cast the stone.

Reply to Babe
Posted by: Ja | 2008/07/10

With that last sentence i suggest that we look at the core issues first.

Reply to Ja
Posted by: Ja | 2008/07/10

Ok, please dont take this up as an attack because it isn't. Is Mary alive? her Sole is, but the same as any other saint waiting for Jesus's second comming as far as the Bible tells us. Can she actually hear your prayer? is she omniscient? The Bible tells us that only God is. Even the Angel in heaven told John not to kneel/worship him - Rev.
Anyway, us Christians believe that Christ is the door and no-one enters except through Him.

Reply to Ja
Posted by: *** | 2008/07/10

Amen to that Babe!

Reply to ***
Posted by: Babe | 2008/07/10

Pontif - I am Catholic and just as lemon I do agree that there are some "customs" which seems strange. But just remember that Catholism is the oldest religion around and these customs are more traditional than anything else.

But what I wanted to say is that we do not pray to Mother Mary - we ask her to intercede for us to GOD. It is just the same as when u would as someone else for instance to pray for you.

There are alot of Catholism you would not understand if u r not Catholic and I know we do get judged an criticised often.

I am going to tell u sumtinnow what I told people before : It does not matter which church you go to or how u pray, what is important is that we all pray to the same living GOD.

Reply to Babe
Posted by: butterfly | 2008/07/10

you know what you people are all doing what the devil expects of pure humans you guys are causing a divide instead of picking on catholics cant you do something constructive with your lives. Everyone has their own beliefs & no one has any right to judge anyones religion. Shame on you for being so destructive no wonder the country is in turmoil its because people worry more on picking on God rather than making things right with the world.GROW UP!!!

Reply to butterfly
Posted by: lemon | 2008/07/10

Hey Pontif - we all love our mothers. Don't you?

Reply to lemon
Posted by: pontif | 2008/07/10

from what i have heard catholics pray to mother mary -why pray to her. Bible says you can only get into heaven through Jesus Christ.

Reply to pontif
Posted by: lemon | 2008/07/10

Guess I have lots of soul searching to do.

Reply to lemon
Posted by: visitor | 2008/07/10

listen i am not going to comment what you said about the wafer - as a catholic if you dont believe that is the body of Christ then you have a big problem. what i would like to tell you is that i felt the same way a few years ago and left the catholic church - i ran around to lots of different churches including charasmatic churches. what i discovered on this journey was all churches are the same. it is more about what you put into it and stop blaming the church you are in as to what you get out of it. since then i went back to the catholic church and am very fulfilled because i make the effort. with regards to the practices the ones i dont believe in i dont follow e.g contraception, not eating meat on good friday (that is between me and my saviour as to whether i should have obeyed these rules or not)

Garfield a lot of christians including catholics attend church as a personal thing and enjoy the rituals.;IT DOES NOT MEAN they are not out there doing any good.

Reply to visitor
Posted by: Garfield | 2008/07/10

Religion is the opium of the masses!

Rather leave all the man-made crap behind & believe in God ... God is goodness in practice and belief ... not the rest of the rituals that have evolved through history!!

Rather than 'adoration' ... the same people would be better off getting out there and reallydoing some good!

Reply to Garfield