Question
Posted by: PvdM | 2004/10/18

behaviour problems with child 2 yrs 6mnths

little boy cannot speak, makes noises, been to 2x specialists, one suspected autism, refered for second opinion which said if child does not speak in months time - speach therapy! At creche they asked that child should not come back-does not play with other children stubborn and cannot communicate, destubs other children. In Johannesburg area. Would like name of person that has good knowledge and experience of autism.

Dear PvdM, this does sound rather puzzling. I'm not sure which type of specialists you took your child to. A paediatrician, who specializes in all childhood ailments could probably be best, at first. As Susan says, there could be a hearing problem, and that would be worth having tested. You could also consider taking him for a further assessment to the Dept of Paediatrics at Wits Medical School, where they could call on whatever other sort of specialist might be most helpful, to clarify this situation and advise on it's best management. I think they also have Speech Therapists handy there, too.

1
Posted by: Susan | 2004/10/18

Have you tested his ears, sometimes children struggle to talk because they can't hear correctly. I'm not a doctor but I can tell you that it is not normal for a child to act like your child. I'm a teacher and I would recomend that you should put your boy into a smaller playgroup. He might be acting like tihs because he can't express himself so he might get frustrated because he can't communicate throug language. I have a boy in my group that is now 2 years and 3 months that also doesn't speak his parents took him to the doctor and she sead that he is hyperactive in the night, I don't agree I just think he misses his parents and want to spend time with them. They don't give him every night at the same time supper, and at 3 in the morning they put the tv on for him because they still want's to sleep. With us we don't have a problem he can sit for 'n long time and play without giving us any trouble. It is very important to talk with him , tell im everything that you are doing. You might feel stupid, but it really works. In my own point of view, how a child is born also plays a vital role, in the "Baba en kleuter" magazine they had an article about how children is born and how children had problems in school, they couldn't cope and I find it very interesting, the boy I mentoined above, he had a difficult birth and I have compared it with other children of his age and I could see, a boy of his same age, mother spoke to him while she was pregnant an from the second he was born she told him everything she have done, and he didn't had a problem. I would recomend that that you talk to him show him pictures, start with one picture at a time. If it doesn't get better I would recomend you to take him to a speech therapist.

Reply to Susan