Question
Posted by: blaze | 2004/01/05

Behaviour problems between dogs

I have 4 bitches, 2 huskies, a mini doberman and and lab X. Three of my pets are ok together, but the one husky is becoming more and more aggresive to the other three (no major fights yet). I know that this is not expected behaviour in huskies, and have tried using drops such as eco-fear as well as rescue, which works for a bit but does not take the aggression away. Is it at all possible to get the aggression out of the husky before it turns to disaster (husky is 4 yrs, youngest of all the bitches, is spayed - as are all my bitches spayed).

I have also been advised that valium is a better tranquliser than ACP. I have had a bad experience with ACP, and would like to know a bit more about valium and animals. Can you comment on this.

Hi Blaze
Please re-post your query about valium and ACP for the vet to answer.
Fighting can be a big and dangerous problem and my experience is that it is often worse between bitches than male dogs. The reason for this type of aggression is usually (with a pack of 4) status-related. In other words there is a disagreement about the "pecking order" in your pack. You need to be the leader as much as possible which means you must make decisions about when and where walks are, when and where feeding happens, etc. If the pecking order is obvious then always feed and greet the top dog first, then the others in order of rank. Perhaps the problem husky needs to be top dog? Whenever she shows aggression you need to show your disapproval by walking away and not looking at her or the other dogs at all. Don't undermine her leadership by "rescuing" the underdog, but allow the top dog to discipline the others within reason. You need to relax and only touch one dog at a time to avoid conflict. Areas like doorways and bedrooms should be avoided. Continue using Rescue Remedy or Eco-fear (for all the dogs involved) while you change your behaviour towards your dogs. Or you could try something stronger like Valerian. You may need more help from a behaviourist as this can be a very complicated situation.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST