Question
Posted by: SMiley | 2008/01/17

BEHAVIOR

I have 2 mini schnauzers who are 7 years old, Have been houise trained since about 2 months. Recently both have decided not to do a pee outside when we take them out regularly but decide to pee on the carpet. This frustrates me tremendously as both are old hands at house training. Why would they have started doing this. I is allergic to grass and hated to walk on grass, she prefers to pee on soil or paving etc.

What can I do to get them over this irritating problem.

There may be something that is making them feel uncomfortable outside and therefore reluctant to do their business outside. Rewarding them for doing their business outside will help them relearn the correct behaviour. Has anything else changed at home? Are they receiving less attention from you for some reason? Maybe new addition to home etc??

2
Posted by: stuart | 2008/01/24

please also consider bladder infection or cancer of the bladder

Reply to stuart
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/17

Consider what the Cybervet has said, since the solution probably lies there. One further little observation, though... sometimes dogs just get a bit lazy about obeying the 'rules', and while punishing them for soiling the carpet is not going to serve any purpose at all, letting them know you are not pleased also isn't going to do any harm. I have a dog who gets a bit too laid back for his own good every now and then, and provided I absolutely know that he's not ill or stressed, I scold him a bit, and that seems to work. Worth a try?

Reply to Chill