Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/23

BEGINNINER WALKING

I was diagnosed in beg May with primary lymphoedema tarda of the right lower limb by my vascular surgeon after about 8 weeks of my gp sifting through many other possible causes of my badly swollen right foot and lower leg. I am now wearing a compressed stocking on my right leg every day and take it off at night only.

Amongst the list of things my surgeon gave me to follow for my condition, he said it was imperitive that I do regular exercise and mantain a good weight. Up till now I have been extremely unfit and have since joined Walk for Life last month. I go Tues and Thurs pm and start 15mins walking at my next session. My question is I am worried that as my walking time now goes up my distance is going to drop. On my 2nd 12.5 min session my distance dropped to 0.8 - I had done 1.1 on the first 12.5 min walking session. I cannot fault my manager or her assistant for their ongoing help and support with my program, but I am just worried I am going to start getting frustrated because my distance isnt going to get better for a while. Should I worry?

They up your time every 3rd session by 2.5 mins.

I am extremely happy that I have joined but am not sure how to deal with frustration that might be coming up! They keep telling me not to worry about it - they wont let me go up levels if they see I am not coping!

Thanks for the help.

I am female (44).

I'm not 100% sure I follow the reason for the drop in distance? You said that your previous walks were 1.1 km in 12.5 minutes, followed by 0.8 km in 12.5 minutes. Surely if you increase to 15 minutes, you'll walk further? Sorry if I'm missing something, but it's not immediately clear why there is a problem.

The difference between the first and second session interests me - why was there such a drop of 300 m in that week? Did you walk the same route? Are your symptoms affecting your walking? Is that the reason they distances might drop?

But the key is that you should not worry about distance, only time. In fact, I would even say that you should not measure the distance - I presume you either have a pedometer or that you are walking on the treadmill? If you are, then I would really suggest that you need to stop worrying about the distance, only the duration - 15 minutes is fine, it's irrelevant whether you cover 1.2 or 1.4 km in those 15 minutes. That's my opinion, I'm not sure this helps you much, I have a feeling I'm missing something here, because I honestly don't know why your distance would go down?

Ross