Posted by: Argus | 2008/09/15

Beginner Cycler

Hi there, I would really like to set my fitness goal to be finishing the Argus, CT,+-100kms in March 2009. However I have not cycled a race before.All I do to date in terms of exercise is cycle for 2kms 3 times a week and yoga once a week. In your opinion, do you think i will be able to complete the race if i adopt the training programme from the health24 site ASAP?
The reason I ask is that my colleagues say that you need to have some cycle race experience and be extremely fit to do this race. 2 things I donot consider myself to be yet :)
I await the verdict...Thank you!

Hi Argus

I believe you can do it. There is a lot of time between now and then, and you can easily get the fitness and the experience you need to do it by then. You obviously need to develop a lot between now and then, but if you make the commitment, then you can do this. But you need to believe this yourself, and then commit to a plan. You need a programme, of course, but I think you'd be fine adapting the programme for now. Once you get up to 60 minutes cycling a day, on that programme, then you look at a new programme, step 2, which starts to focus specifically on cycling the Argus. But cross that bridge when you get there. For now, just get fitter, set a target of getting up to 60 minutes a day, and then see what you make of it.