Question
Posted by: Kittycat | 2008/05/28

been sick for 6 weeks

Hi doc

I have been sick for the past 6 weeks. Started with a cold then sore throat then flu like symptons. Been to the doctor 5 times
now told that having a severe reaction to allergies. I have been on meds for sometime. Told no infections dont need anti-biotics.
been on predlisone,venteze and M-Fed (not sure what that is but suppose to clear up mucus) I have a blocked ear, slightly running nose, barking like cough, tight chect which is aggrevated by aircon (at work) and sinus paint. I dont know what else to do. I can live with all the other symptoms but the ear is driving me crazy. How can I clear this - all the symptoms without having to go see a specialists as this will be the next step as per my doctor.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Unfortunately, you will have to consult an ENT specialist, to have a CT scan of your sinusses done. This will give a clear indication of what the problem is and how to alleviate your symptoms. It is possible that you are infact suffering from a chronic allergy that causes your chronic sinus symptoms. To alleviate the painful blocked ear, you might require a grommet.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/05/28

Hello Kittycat,
I dont know if any of this will be usefull for you or if it might even work for you. When we moved to Sandton I was also all the time sick with sinussitus and stuff. My doctor (internist) tried every possible drug combination for my sinus problems (4 months at a time), but nothing seemed to have helped me at all. Eventually 2 months ago he said that I must stop all the other medications (cause it is not working), but that there is something that they normally use for children with asthma, singulair 10mg, that sometimes help for adults with sinus/rhynitus problems. He gave me that to take once a day and a nasal spray (Nasonex) to take twice a day. He told me that it is medication that either work or dont and that I will know within a day or 2 if it works for me. 2 days later and I did not have any more post nasal drip, no more sinus situs, no more sinus pain, no more tight chest. Everything cleared up 100%. Maybe you can ask your doctor if he want to try and prescribe that for you? You will probably still need treatment to sort out your ear, but if it is the same as for me, then this could end the cause of your problems... All the best, Ruby

Reply to Ruby